Xiaomi Pad 5 with a keyboard and smart pen is a good alternative for iPad. The combo works smoothly. However, sometimes, the keyboard stop working.
In some cases, the whole keyboard fails to work. While in other cases, only certain buttons cannot respond.
For example, one of the users reported that the left shift key does not work with only one letter.
Nevertheless, it works with all other keys. All these problems are fixable. Just follow my guide till the end.
Tip#1. Restart Your Xiaomi Pad 5
The issue may be with the tablet. Therefore, you should restart it. Here is the process;
- Press the Power button to turn ON your device.
- Now, hold the Power button for 10 seconds.
- The tablet will shut down and then come ON.
- Release the button when the device reboots and the logo appear on the screen.
Tip#2. Connect Securely
One trivial cause is that your keyboard is not connected securely. So, unplug and replug it firmly.
Moreover, try another USB port on your tablet. Maybe the port is faulty or broken. This simple check can fix the issue.
Tip#3. Fix via Key Mapper
A very effective hack is to remap the keys. For this purpose, you can use an app. Here are the guiding steps;
- Go to the Google Playstore or app store on your Xiaomi Pad 5.
- Download the “Key Mapper” app.
- Launch the app and complete the setup process by following the on-screen instructions.
- Remap the key combinations correctly. The keyboard will start working properly.
Tip#4. Reset the Keyboard
Resetting your Mi Pad 5 keyboard can fix the issue. Here is how you do it;
- Connect the keyboard properly with your Pad 5.
- Turn ON your keyboard.
- Press Insert and PC/Mac buttons at the same time.
- This is the quick way to reset.
Tip#5. Hard Reset Your Pad 5
If a simple restart does not work, hard reset your Xiaomi Pad 5. Here is the process;
- Press the Power button to turn OFF your Pad 5.
- Next, hold down the “Volume Up” and “Power” buttons for 2 seconds.
- Release the buttons when “Recovery Mode” appears on the screen.
- Tap “Wipe Data” and then “Wipe All Data”.
- You can navigate the list via the Volume keys. Press the Power button to confirm the action.
- Once the reset is complete, go to the “Main Menu”.
- Click “Reboot” and then “Reboot to System”.
- The hard reset will be done now.
Tip#6. How to Disable Floating Keyboard?
Sometimes, an annoying thing happens. Accidentally, you enable the floating keyboard on your Pad 5. Here is how to disable it;
- Look at different icons on your floating keyboard.
- Tap the three dots on the right-hand side.
- It will show further options. Click the “Floating” icon.
- This will disable the function.
Tip#7. Is Mi Pad 5 Keyboard not Working After Battery Replacement?
Once my Pad 5 stopped working after changing the keyboard battery. As you know, replaceable batteries are used in the keyboard.
So, you need to insert the fresh batteries if they expire. However, if the keyboard fails to work after replacement, you can fix it.
Just remove and reinsert the batteries again. Moreover, try another fresh pair.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Xiaomi Pad 5
Do you have further queries? Read the following commonly asked questions.
Can I connect a Bluetooth keyboard to Xiaomi Pad 5?
Yes, Pad 5 also supports Bluetooth keyboard. You can detach it and use it as a separate device. So, it allows you to operate the tablet in any position.
How do I connect a mouse to my Xiaomi Pad 5?
First, turn ON your Pad. Press and hold its bottom button until a blue light flashes. Also, enable pairing mode on your mouse. Go to Bluetooth settings on the tablet. Search the mouse in the list and pair it.
Does Xiaomi support OTG?
Yes, Xiaomi is compatible with OTG. This technology lets you connect your Pad to any USB-supported device. You can turn ON OTG through the Settings app.
I have suggested you a number of ways to fix your device. Hopefully, now your Xiaomi Pad 5 keyboard is working. However, if it is still unresponsive, you should attach a new keyboard.