An autistic child needs special care and attention. Such a differently abled kid should be kept engaged. So, you should purchase the best tablet for your autistic child. It will promote creativity, skills, and learning in your adolescence.
Choosing the perfect tablet for your child is very necessary. Because technology offers a lot of functionalities for child grooming. Therefore, I did a lot of research to pick up the perfect items.
Why an Autistic Child Needs a Tablet?
If you are a parent, a smart tablet can assist you. Here are some benefits of buying a tab for your kid;
- A tablet helps in language learning. The kid can type and memorize new words. Moreover, they can speak on the microphone and listen to audiobooks.
- Tabs have a lot of applications. For example, mental imagery, therapy, and picture communication apps are very helpful.
- A number of games have been specially designed for autism. These help your child in learning and social interaction. They can make online friends and develop social skills.
- Little older kids can draw, paint, and doodle on the screen. Thus, they will not spoil your walls, floor, and furniture.
- Parental controls let you supervise and customize your kids’ activities. So, there is no risk of bad content.
1. Apple iPad (2021)
- Gorgeous 10.2-inch Retina display with True Tone
- A13 Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- 8MP Wide back camera, 12MP Ultra Wide front camera with Center Stage
- Up to 256GB storage
As you know, Apple devices are most wanted. Therefore, I chose Apple iPad 2021 release. It is an elegant option for an autistic kid because it has a lot of features and fast technology.
Its Liquid Retina display measures around 13 inches. The device integrates ProMotion, True Tone, and P3 wide color technology. This unique display technology protects your eyes from strain.
Hence, the iPad is safer to use for longer durations. The tab features fast charging and 10 hours of battery life. The Face ID function helps in security and authentication.
4 high-fidelity speakers are integrated into the device. Moreover, 5 high-quality microphones are also added for hands-free calling. Play games, and create media and projects smoothly with Neural Engine.
The addition of Wifi 6 allows maximum range. The lightweight design is ideal for a special child. Its latest iOS version offers to multitask. Your kid can do creative work very easily. It is perfect both for work and creativity.
Integration of the A12Z Bionic chip ensures 50% faster performance. This model has 64GB RAM.
However, you can also choose the other version with 256GB RAM. This iPad is compatible with a smart keyboard and Apple Pencil.
- Latest iOS version with Neural Engine
- Liquid Retina display to avoid eye fatigue
- Supports Wifi 6 for a wide range
- 12MP front and 8MP back camera
- Speakers are tiny
2. Amazon Fire HD Tablet
- Fast and responsive - powerful octa-core processor and 3 GB RAM. 50% more RAM than previous...
- Long-lasting 12-hour battery and 32 or 64 GB internal storage. Add up to 1 TB with microSD (sold...
- Brighter display - Vivid 10.1" 1080p Full HD display is 10% brighter than previous generation, with...
- Enjoy your favorite apps like Netflix, Facebook, Hulu, Instagram, TikTok, and more through...
Fire Tablet is a great budget-friendly choice. While testing this product, I found it ideal for your autistic child. Additionally, it can be used for smart home management.
Because it supports Alexa, Wifi, and Bluetooth. Amazon also provides access to a limited number of apps.
Available in different colors, the Fire tablet is attractive for kids. About 10 inches large screen is great for every activity.
Dual stereo speakers are installed in the unit. At 96.3dB, the speakers produce a room-filling sound. Moreover, it also supports a USB-C port, a 3.5mm audio jack, and a microSD card slot.
3GB RAM gives you a fast and smooth experience. The built-in storage space is 32GB. A 5MP back camera and a 2MP front camera are also included.
They do not capture beautiful images. However, the cameras are great for video calls and conferences.
Android version 9 and a fast processor ensure a fluid performance. The split screen feature is convenient for multitasking. The battery runs up to 12 hours and requires 3.5 hours to charge fully.
The unit is durable and sturdy. It is lightweight and has a thin profile. So, the Amazon Fire tablet is ideal for kids’ usage and portability.
- Fast and responsive with enough memory
- Affordable cost
- Supports Alexa and Amazon smart home
- Dual and powerful stereo speakers
- Back camera images are not ideal
3. Kindle Paperwhite
- The thinnest, lightest Kindle Paperwhite yet—with a flush-front design and 300 ppi glare-free...
- Now waterproof, so you’re free to read and relax at the beach, by the pool, or in the bath. Your...
- Enjoy twice the storage with 8 GB. Or choose 32 GB to hold more magazines, comics, and audiobooks.
- Now with Audible. Pair with Bluetooth headphones or speakers to listen to your story.
Kindle Paperwhite is a very popular tablet. It is a great choice for an autistic child. It has a 300 PPI glare-free screen. So, an autistic child can use it in bright sunlight, at the pool, or at the beach.
Moreover, the product is durable enough. Because it can be immersed in water for 60 minutes. It has 8GB and 32Gb memory to store your data.
With its audible capability, your child can listen to audiobooks and lessons. A normal book lover can also use this tablet. The device does not have a Twitter app or Alexa voice control.
However, you can buy media from Amazon. The best thing is the longer battery life. The manufacturer claims that Kindle can last up to 6 hours on a single charge.
The design is sleek and lightweight. Hence, the device can be held easily for a long time. You can also purchase the case for further protection. The device is responsive and fast.
Page turning is smooth. However, waking it up requires almost 5 seconds. It also offers customization features. For example, you can save names with special font and size.
Both the software and the hardware are improved. A page turn button is also added beside the touch screen. Built-in Bluetooth lets you connect the tablet with headphones and other devices.
- Adjustable light for indoor and outdoor activities
- Smooth page turning
- Audiobook reading and glare-free screen
- Waterproof and durable
- Long-lasting battery
- A little sluggish
- Does not have a Twitter app
4. LCD Writing Tablet
- Free Child’s Imagination: The LCD writing tablet for kid’s free children's imagination,...
- Pressure-sensitive Tech: The writing tablet surface creates lines of different thickness based on...
- Reusable & Portable & Durable & Anti-drop: The built-in battery of the drawing tablet has 3-12...
- 💡Toddler Educational Toys: The multi-functional doodle board is a good educational learning toy,...
This beautiful tablet is one of the most recommended products. It is a much-loved device. An autistic child in my acquaintance has been using it for months.
Her mother also found it very helpful. This tablet has an LCD screen. It offers a lot of creative features on its 8.5 inches screen. The kid can write, draw, paint, spell, count, and do many other activities.
This electronic gadget keeps your child busy. It is a great alternative to manual paper drawing and painting. The kid will no more carve on the floor, walls, furniture, and other objects.
The most amazing thing is the lowest price. Everyone can afford this tab. It saves your money from spending on stationary. Remember that it is not a fully equipped smart tablet.
Rather, it is designed for creative work and learning. As a gift, it is perfect for a 2-8 years child. The product is available in many colors. Furthermore, the screen is colorful and glare-free. So, your child’s eyes will bear no harm.
The pressure-sensitive touch lets you draw just like a pencil. A Stylus pencil is also provided with the device. Lock the drawing or clear it with a single click.
There are many other benefits of buying this tab. It can be reused and is very portable. Moreover, the product is durable and shock resistant. Its built-in battery lasts for 3-12 months.
- Spare battery and other accessories are included
- Best and cheap tablet for an autistic child
- Promotes learning and creativity
- Not a smart device with a software
- No Wifi, Bluetooth, or streaming options
- Dim display and vulnerable to smudges
5. SAMSUNG Galaxy A7
- 10.4" (263.1mm), 2000 x 1200 (WUXGA+), TFT, 16M colors - Slim. Stylish. Sophisticated.
- 64GB ROM, 3GB RAM, Qualcomm SM6115 Snapdragon 662 (11 nm), Octa-core, Adreno 610, Android 10, One UI...
- Rear Camera: 8MP, Front Camera: 5MP, 7040 mAh battery w/ 15W Fast charging, Bluetooth 5.0
- Wi-Fi Only - No SIM Card Slot / Network, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4G+5GHz, VHT80
Samsung is known for manufacturing the best smart devices. It would be unfair if I do not include this product. Galaxy Tab A7 is one of the perfect choices for an autistic child.
It is durable with a hardshell protective case. So, the device is shock and scratch-proof. Moreover, the device has a built-in quad-speaker system. It produces excellent Dolby sound.
The output is room-filling. I like it because of its flexible design. This ultra-slim tablet has a foldable and sleek body. The 10.4 inches screen is bright and clear.
You can enjoy vivid and original images. Due to its one-pound weight, the tab is easy to hold. You get a powerful 7040 mAh battery that lasts up to 14 hours.
The integration of the USB-C port is a great advantage for instant charging. It easily powers up the device in a very short time. Android 10 version and fast processors make it responsive.
Furthermore, 3GB RAM and 64GB ROM provide enough storage space. The device has both front and rear cameras. Bluetooth 5.0 and Wifi allow convenient wireless connectivity.
- Powerful battery and fast charging
- Shock resistant with the sturdy build quality
- Large built-in storage space and SD card support
- Quad sound system and Dolby Surround Sound
- Slim, lightweight, and foldable
- Lacks SIM card slot
6. Lenovo P11 Plus
- Experience superior streaming with the stunning 2K resolution (2000 x 1200) and 11-inch TDDI IPS...
- Find a deeper connection with all the songs, stories, and shows you love with Dolby Atmos over four...
- Experience less lag while gaming or browsing via the MediaTek Helio G90T Tab Octa-Core processor...
- Multitask seamlessly with 4GB with 128GB memory; Android 11 operating system
Lenovo is a budgeted choice. This tablet is very suitable for an autistic child. Because it has an 8MP front camera. So, you can stay connected with your kid.
Moreover, the integration of 4 stereo speakers is ideal for listening. They are powerful speakers and deliver bright sounds. The screen measures 11 inches with color accuracy.
Moreover, its resolution is 2000×1200 pixels. The movie experience is great on a full HD screen. The product is light enough weighing around 1.8 pounds.
Furthermore, it is sturdy and can endure physical shocks. The aluminum body makes it a good choice for outdoor usage. Its 4GB RAM is enough to help in browsing.
While the 128GB memory is ideal for storage. You can also install a micro-SD card to increase the storage space. Lenovo features Android OS 11.
Additionally, it has a special Kids Space that offers entertaining features. Glare minmizing, parental controls, security options, and posture alerts are other useful features. Its battery life is almost 10-15 hours.
A Type-C port and 3.5mm audio jack is available for wired connection. While the dual-band makes wireless connectivity convenient.
- Bright and crystal clear 2K screen
- 4 built-in powerful speakers
- Kids-friendly features, security, and parental controls
- Large storage space and SD card compatibility
- Sturdy and durable design
- Short battery life-upto 15 hours
- Does not support Wifi 6
7. Dragon Touch Y88X
- Pre-installed KIDOZ app: Enjoy thousands of kid-friendly contents in the COPPA Certified KIDOZ, age...
- Easy-to-use Parental Control: Parents can filter content, set screen time, and monitor activities to...
- Stylus Include: A mess-free way for your kids to draw and be creative. Let their imagination run...
- Resistant Kid-Proof Case for Small Hands: In case there are any bumps or bashes. Adjustable shoulder...
Dragon Touch is another cheap tablet for autistic kids. The device comes with a pre-installed KIDOZ app. It lets you create a special child account. So, the parents can control kids’ on-screen activities.
Also, filter and customize the content according to the child’s age. Its 7 inches HD display is glare free. So, the users’ eyes are protected from harmful rays.
A stylus pen is also provided with the device. So, the child can draw, paint, and create doodle art. Moreover, the product is durable and shock resistant. Hence, it offers risk-free portability.
It also has an adjustable carry strap. This tablet can serve a dual purpose. Enter the kid’s mode to limit the features. You can exit the kid’s mode to avail yourself of all the functions.
2GB RAM and Android version 9.0 ensures smooth performance. The device is available in multi colors and has a protective case. Wifi and Bluetooth support allow multiple streaming options.
Micro HDMI and USB ports are also integrated for physical connectivity. Capture your memories with a 2 MP front and 8MP back camera. All the accessories and colorful stickers are included in the purchase.
Built-in speakers are pretty powerful for a tablet. Your kid can also listen to FM radio via speakers or headphones.
- Budget-friendly choice
- Built-in Disney audiobooks and KIDOZ
- Parental controls and dual mode
- Stylus removal from the case is not easy
How Did I Choose the Best Tablets for An Autistic Child?
I considered the specific needs of your autistic child while choosing the tablets. As you know, there are a lot of tablet brands in the market.
But, all of them are not suitable for a differently abled kid. So, here are some qualities that should be present in your selection.
1. Display and Size
I picked up medium-sized tablets so that the child can hold them easily. Because a large device is difficult to hold.
Otherwise, the kid may drop it due to difficult handling. Moreover, the screen should be glare free. It is necessary to protect your kids from eye strain.
2. Parental Control
It is an essential feature. Because your special kid needs attention and supervision. Hence, you have to limit access to bad content. Otherwise, the kid’s mental stability will be at stake.
Almost all of my chosen tablets have parental control features. They let you customize and control the functions and access. The basic purpose of a tablet is to groom your child.
You must choose a durable and sturdy product. Because a young kid can easily drop the device. Especially an autistic child handles objects roughly.
Thus, it will harm the kid and will spoil your money. It should have a protective cover/casing, stand, and bumper.
4. Your Budget
Of course, the budget is a very important element to consider. You should choose a budget-friendly tablet. Because an autistic child can spoil gadgets very easily. So, I included less expensive products.
However, a tablet will save you much money that is spent on papers, pencils, colors, etc. So, in comparison to stationary, a tab is a cheaper choice. Normally, you can buy one for less than $100.
FAQs Regarding Autism and Electronic Gadgets
Here I added a few important and frequently asked questions. Read them for further learning and information.
Is using a tablet safe for an autistic child?
In fact, a tablet is a great device for the autism community. This device helps in learning, training, and skill development. There is no harm in giving a good quality tablet to your autistic kid. It keeps the child busy and focused.
What apps are good for speech therapy?
Articulation Station is the best app for speech therapy. This app improves pronunciation, sentences, words, and speech. Another good app for autism is LAMP Words. Moreover, you can also consider Splingo and Speech Tutor.
Can excessive screen usage lead to autism?
Research studies reveal that excessive screen usage can somehow lead to autism. Specially autism spectrum disorder was reported in 3-years old children who had longer screen time at one year of age. So, screen time should be very limited for kids.
What is the best therapy for autism spectrum disorder?
ASD can be well treated through behavioral approaches. Many educators and healthcare professionals apply this strategy. One effective treatment is known as ABA or Applied Behavioral Analysis.
Why do children develop autism?
Autism or ASD is known to be developed by disruptions in brain growth during the early stage of development. It is the result of defects in genes that are responsible for brain growth. Most commonly it affects prematurely born children.
Also read: Fixing the Charging Issue in Xiaomi Pad 5
You will find a lot of tablets on the internet. But, I have included the best 7 tablets for an autistic child. You can choose any one according to your budget and preferences. I will appreciate your precious feedback on my posts.
Last update on 2023-01-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API