A good tablet is an essential tool for writers and professionals. It should support the complete package of Microsoft Word and Office. But, how to choose the best tablet for Word processing?
As you know, thousands of devices are available in the market. So, selecting the ideal device is a very confusing matter. However, I am here to assist you.
A few months ago, I needed a tab for writing Word files and documents. I started looking for an ideal product. However, I had to do a lot of research. Finally, my research ended up in the list of the top 7 tabs of 2023.
Let us review all seven products in detail. I would also tell you the positives and negatives of each device. This guide is based on honest reviews and personal experiences.
1. Apple iPad Air
- WHY IPAD AIR — Serious performance in a thin and light design. With an immersive 10.9-inch Liquid...
- IPADOS + APPS — iPadOS makes iPad more productive, intuitive, and versatile. With iPadOS, run...
- FAST WI-FI CONNECTIVITY — Wi-Fi 6 gives you fast access to your files, uploads, and downloads, and...
- PERFORMANCE AND STORAGE — The M1 chip lets you multitask smoothly between powerful apps and play...
Apple excels almost in all aspects. It is a super-fast device for Word processing. If you are a professional, I would recommend iPad Air. The reason is OS 15 and M1 chip. Therefore, you face no lag or delay.
Furthermore, it is great for multitasking. This slim tab weighs only one pound. Thus, it is portable and a good companion for traveling. Air also supports second-generation Pencil.
So, it can be used for drawing and graphics besides writing. A 10.9 inches LCD screen displays bright colors. While it has 500 nits brightness. Moreover, it features True Tone color and an anti-reflective coating.
This less costly version has 64GB storage. While the pricier model comes with large 256GB internal memory. The battery runs for almost 5 hours on video playback. USB-C port is integrated for fast charging.
Another unique feature is Universal Control. It allows you to share a mouse or keyboard between a Mac and iPad. Cameras are great for capturing your favorite moments.
The device comes with 12MP rear and front cameras. The video quality is nice and the angle is wide. This tab can perform all other functions and proves an excellent media device.
- Multitasking and professional display
- M1 Chip and fast processor
- Reasonable price
- Available in multiple colors
- Stereo speakers and 12MP cameras
- Battery life should be longer
- Does not support millimeter-wave 5G
2. SAMSUNG Galaxy S6 Lite
- The included S Pen makes it easier than ever to write notes and personalize photos and videos, all...
- Slim Metal Design: Take this sleek, lightweight tablet anywhere. Its slim design slips right into...
- Entertainment Ready: A vivid, crystal clear display draws you into content while dual speakers with...
- Long-lasting Battery: A long-lasting battery lets you stream for up to 13 hours (Battery power...
While searching online, you will find a lot of tablets by Samsung. Some are costly while others are cheap. I have chosen the best-budgeted model. Galaxy S6 Lite is an excellent choice for Word.
You can attach a keyboard for laptop mode. A Stylus pen also comes with the device. Hence, you can write, draw, and perform other functions easily. 13 hours battery life and 1.3 pounds weight make it ideal for traveling.
Integration of USB-C port ensures fast charging. Dual integrated speakers deliver Dolby Atmos surround sound. Overall, the audio quality is good. Hence, it can be used for online meetings/video calls and media.
You can choose between two options with 64GB or 128GB storage. Extend the memory up to 1TB by adding an SD card. Its software version is Android 12.
However, it can be updated to Android 15. It has 5MP front and 8MP back cameras. This tab is attractive and available in 3 color options. The design profile is slim. This product is sturdy due to its metal body.
- Long-lasting battery and fast charging
- Convertible into the laptop, Stylus pen supported
- Crystal clear 10.4 inches display
- Great multitasking experience
- Stylus pen and fast charger are sold separately
- Slower than newer Samsung models
3. Microsoft Surface Pro 7
- Next-gen, best-in-class laptop with the versatility of a studio and tablet, so you can type, touch,...
- Faster than surface pro 6, with a 10th gen intel core processor – redefining what’s possible in...
- More ways to connect, with both USB-c and USB-a ports for connecting to displays, docking stations...
- Standout design that won’t weigh you down — ultra-slim and light surface pro 7 starts at just...
Microsoft manufactures ideal media devices. Surface Pro 7 is one of the best tablets for Word processing. Complete Windows 10 package and Microsoft Office 365 are pre-installed on the device.
Additionally, you get all the professional and business tools. It is a two-in-one device with a detachable keyboard. A 12.3 inches screen is excellent for full view.
With 8GB RAM, it performs well. Internal storage capacity is 128GB. The tab uses an Intel Core processor. Hence, you get access to all the features of Windows. Moreover, the working speed is also great.
Furthermore, Pro 7 carries great aesthetic value. It is built of high-quality material and gives a sleek outlook. The 1.7 pounds weight offers high portability.
It is equipped with both USB-A and USB-C ports. Fast battery charging ensures 80% in just an hour. Overall, the battery playtime is 10.5 hours.
All the features make it an ideal choice for writing, documenting, graphics, etc. A built-in kickstand allows easy adjustment and placement. The keyboard is responsive and fast.
- Pre-installed MS Office and Windows 10
- A bigger 12.3 inches display
- Sleek design and sturdy built
- Lightweight, slim, and portable
- Excellent battery timing for up to 12 hours
- The keyboard is sold separately
- Does not support Thunderbolt
4. CHUWI Hi10 X Tablet
- ✔ QUAD CORES PROCESSOER: Hi10 X equipped with Intel Gemini-Lake N4120 CPU (4M Cache, up to 2.6Ghz,...
- ✔ LARGE STORAGE CAPACITY: This 2-in-1 tablet PC built-in LPDDR4 6G ram that you can opening dozens...
- ✔ 10 INCH FHD IPS PANNEL: Full laminated process with 1920x1200 pixels resolution and 16:10...
- ✔ PRIME METAL TEXTURE: Compared to Hi10 X and other cheap plastic-body tablet, this laptop tablet...
If you have a limited budget, CHUWI is good news for you. It is a convertible device for professional use. This tablet plus laptop comes at a very affordable price.
However, the product does not compromise on quality. Its performance is ideal and smooth. Because it runs on an Intel Quad Core processor. 6GB RAM ensures fast functioning. While the internal storage is 128GB.
Hence, you can download videos, movies, games, documents, files, etc. Moreover, it is great for multitasking. The display is 10.1 inches. The screen is laminated and provides eye protection.
Further, it displays vibrant colors with a 16:10 aspect ratio. It is a full HD and IPS paneled screen. The tab also has pre-installed speakers. You can also use it for listening to music and watching movies.
It offers multiple connectivity options. It has USB 3.0, 2.0, micro USB, SD card, micro HDMI, and headphones jack. Dual-band Wifi and Bluetooth 5.0 is available for wireless connectivity.
Its 6600mAh battery gives a nice playtime. Moreover, the product weighs only 553 grams. Hence, it is very portable and great for traveling.
The tab has a 2MP front and 5MP back camera. Additionally, the package comes with a keyboard and stylus pen.
- Windows 10 and fast processor
- Best affordable tablet plus laptop
- Versatile connectivity options
- The speaker location is not ideal
- The cameras quality is not the best
5. Lenovo Chromebook Duet
Lenovo is a budget-friendly option for Word processing. Chromebook Duet runs on Chrome OS. So, it mostly uses Google apps. However, this device is great for business and professional use.
Additionally, you can use it for movies, Zoom meetings, graphics, games, etc. You view vivid colors on a 10 inches screen. 400 nits brightness is decent for working and viewing.
It comes with 4GB RAM and 128GB ROM. Convert the tab into the laptop by attaching the keyboard. A kickstand is also integrated at the back. The display features an IPS touchscreen.
Moreover, both back and front cameras are installed in the device. Weighing only one pound, Duet is very portable. Design and outlook are unique. The lid is covered by the hard fabric.
So, it looks like a writer’s journal. One USB-C port and a 3.5mm headphone jack is integrated into the unit. Two microphones and speakers are also added. But, sound quality is not ideal.
General battery life is up to 10 hours. This tablet is best for beginners and kids. However, expert and professional users may not like it much.
- Great workstation for Word processing
- Very affordable and cheap device
- Long-lasting battery
- Very lightweight and portable
- IPS and HD touchscreen with 400 nits
- 4GB RAM may cause lag
- Google Chrome OS instead of Windows
6. HP Pavilion Tablet
- FREE UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 11 (13) (when available, see below)
- VIBRANT DISPLAY - Your creations are brought to life with the 14-inch diagonal Full HD (1920 x 1080)...
- STELLAR PERFORMANCE - The 11th Generation Intel Core i5-1135G7 (1) processor lets you get work done...
- EYE-CATCHING GRAPHICS - Marvel at crystal-clear imagery thanks to Intel Iris Xe Graphics (2)
It is another great workstation for Word processing. HP Pavilion is a two-in-one device. You can use it both as a laptop and tablet. Its screen is 14 inches which is quite large.
The display has good quality. It is a multi-touch enabled and full HD screen. The device is fast and responsive. Because it features 8GB RAM and 256 GB internal storage. Hence, you can work easily for long hours.
The battery runs up to 8 hours on a single charge. It proves an ideal device for writing, graphics, and other professional tasks. Furthermore, the integrated speakers perform excellently.
The sound profile is neutral and the volume is unbeatable. The tab has an HDMI and a USB-C port. Moreover, the HP laptop is very portable with a 1.5 kg weight. Because mainly, it is built of plastic.
Nevertheless, the product looks stylish and elegant. However, it is sturdy enough. Some users found the keyboard hard. They do not consider it perfect for whole-day use.
Webcam is grainy and needs improvement. But, overall, this tablet is good for business, school, and official usage.
- A large 14 inches display
- 8GB RAM and Intel Quad Core processor
- IPS and full HD touchscreen
- Excellent speakers and sound quality
- Long-lasting and fast-charging battery
- Screen glare in bright daylight
- Plastic has been used in the body
7. VASTKING KingPad M10 Tablet
- 【Better Screen, Better Enjoyment】Everything you do look incredibly brilliant with a 10.36"...
- 【5Ghz Wi-Fi】Engineered to run on ultra-fast networks, with 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz Wi-Fi connectivity,...
- 【Next Level Multitasking】With a 12nm 2.0Ghz Octa Core AI processor on board, you get seamless...
- 【Android 11, Stay Up to Date】The Latest GMS certified Android 11 system, helps you get to what...
VastKing M10 is the best budget choice. It is very light on your pocket but still great for Word processing. It supports complete MS Office such as Word, Publisher, Excel, etc.
Its IPS laminated screen ensures an excellent viewing experience. Use it in two ways. Attach the keyboard to convert it into a laptop. However, the accessories including the keyboard and kickstand are sold separately.
Its display measures 10.36 inches. Moreover, it features a 2K resolution and a 60Hz refresh rate. This is good for official work but not ideal for gaming.
KingPad runs on Android 11. The battery has 6000 mAh power and can last up to 5 hours. The most amazing feature is high memory storage. The device features 4GB RAM and 128GB internal memory.
Extend the storage further by inserting a 2TB microSD card. The product has both wireless and wired connectivity options. It has Bluetooth 4.2, Wifi 5, and 4G LTE. Additionally, a USB-C and headphones jack is also installed.
The tab supports dual SIM cards. You can capture your favorite moments with a 13MP rear and 8MP front camera. The face unlock option is also available for security purposes.
Its build quality is also nice with an aluminum body. The addition of the kickstand lets you adjust the device at any angle.
- Vivid colors with 300 nits
- Built-in four stereo speakers
- Android 11 software
- Battery life needs improvement
- An issue with charging compatibility
Also read: Find the Perfect Tablet for Zoom Meetings
How to Choose the Best Tablets for Word Processing
While searching for the ideal tablet, we have to consider certain features. Whether you are a writer, businessman, or any other professional, look for the following specs in your device.
1. Display and Screen
The minimum screen size should be 8 inches so that the words can be seen clearly. Display quality should be good enough to protect you from eye fatigue.
400 nits brightness is decent to avoid sun glare. So, the device can be used in bright sunlight. There are different types of displays including IPS, LCD, LED, or liquid retina.
Most tablets come with a detachable keyboard. I recommend buying a tab with a keyboard. Because it can be used as a laptop. Typing for long hours is more convenient on a keyboard rather than on a touchscreen.
Almost all tabs have a touchscreen and Stylus pen. However, a physical keyboard is essential. This makes the tab a two-in-one device.
3. Operating System and Software
Tablets run on Windows, Android, or iOS. Windows have an advantage as it offers all the features for Word processing. Likewise, the Apple operating system also supports all programs.
For Word processing, your device should be compatible with Microsoft Office and 365. It should support the complete package including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.
4. Battery Life
Good battery timing is another worth-considering feature. Low-cost tablets run up to 5 hours. While quality products have a battery life of up to 12 hours. This is ideal for long working hours and portability.
However, you can choose according to your requirement. For example, if you work only for 3-4 hours, 5 hours of battery life is decent. In case of traveling, you should choose stronger battery.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Tablets
Following are some common questions that may come to your mind. Read them for further information about tablets and Word processing.
Are tablets good for Word processing?
Yes, tablets are good for Word processing due to greater portability. Most tabs attach a keyboard and work as a laptop too. Windows tablets provide all the features of Microsoft Word. So, the user can write and create documents, files, illustrations, etc.
Do Apple iPads support Word processing?
Yes, iPads are fully compatible with Word and related programs. It also allows updates. Moreover, its fast processor ensures smooth functioning. Bright screens and vibrant colors add more convenience during outdoor usage.
What are the best tablet apps for word processing?
MS Word is the best program for Word processing, typing, and documenting. However, some alternate apps are also available. For example, Zoho, WPS Office, LibreOffice, Google Docs, Dropbox Paper, and Jarte can be downloaded from the Play store on a tablet.
How to print a document from a tablet?
Does a tablet have all the features of a laptop?
Last update on 2023-05-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API